2017 VAIL SCREENPLAY COMPETITION
"Winning 1st Place at the Vail Screenplay Competition helped us get the film made." - Andrew Kightlinger, 1st place winner, 2015 Vail Screenplay Competition
The Vail Film Festival Screenplay Competition is a vehicle for aspiring screenwriters to get their script read by established film producers, managers, and agents who are actively working at the top level of the film industry.
The Vail Film Festival Screenplay Competition welcomes unproduced feature length screenplays in the below categories, as well as TV and Web series in any genre. Feature Scripts must be between 70-130 pages in length. TV or Web series must be between 10 and 60 pages in length. Feature screenplay categories: Animated, Comedy, Drama, Faith-Based, Horror, Thriller, Science Fiction.
Click on the below link to submit:
Screenplay Deadlines & Submission Fees:
All screenplays should be submitted through FilmFreeway. Rules and Guidelines posted on FilmFreeway.
Earlybird Deadline: May 19, 2017
- $35 fee
Regular Deadline: July 18, 2017
- $40 fee
Late Deadline: August 31, 2017
- $45 fee
Extended Deadline: November 3, 2017
- $50 fee
SEMIFINALISTS WILL BE NOTIFIED, AND LISTED ON THE VAIL FILM FESTIVAL WEBSITE ON JANUARY 19TH, 2018. WINNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED AND ANNOUNCED ON FEBRUARY 9TH, 2018.
The Vail Film Festival Feature Screenplay Competition welcomes unproduced feature length screenplays and TV and Web series scripts.
MISSION & OBJECTIVE
The Vail Film Festival is produced by the Colorado Film Institute, a non-profit arts organization dedicated to fostering independent cinema. The Vail Film Festival strives to encourage artistic innovation, promote new and creative filmmaking, and foster discourse about independent film and other forms of media which challenge and entertain.
ABOUT THE VAIL FILM FESTIVAL SCREENPLAY COMPETITION
The Colorado Film Institute launched the Vail Film Festival Screenplay Competition in order to find and foster the next generation of the film world’s most innovative and creative screenwriters. With the realization that every great film needs a great story, the festival is dedicated to supporting talented screenwriters by utilizing the resources of the Vail Film Festival to foster the winning screenwriters through networking opportunities, and film industry access.
1. You may enter as many scripts as you like, but each must be accompanied by a separate entry and the required entry fee.
2. Entries must be written in English. The screenplay(s) must be original and unproduced at the time of submission. Optioned scripts are acceptable for entry.
3. All scripts must conform to standard screenplay format.
4. Feature Scripts must be between 70-125 pages in length. TV and Web series scripts must be between 10-60 pages in length. All pages other than the first page should be numbered. Include only Title and entry number on the cover page.
5. Judging is solely on the screenplay. Do not include the following information or materials as they will be disregarded: logline, synopsis, treatment, or any additional materials not specifically requested.
6. Script collaborations are allowed and the work must be the sole and exclusive property of the collaborators.
7. Once a screenplay has been submitted, substitutions of new drafts will not be accepted under any circumstances.
8. Writer(s) retain ALL rights for their entry(ies) when entering our competition.
9. Adaptations are acceptable for entry in our competition only if you have all the appropriate and/or required approvals/waivers/permissions from any and all right holders. If you are unsure, please consult an entertainment attorney for your own protection.
JUDGING & NOTIFICATION
1. Judging will be anonymous. Upon receipt, your screenplay(s) will be assigned corresponding numbers, and your screenplay(s) will be identifiable to the judges by number only.
2. Judges' decisions are final. Prizes are non-transferable.
3. Individuals active in the film and screenwriting community will conduct preliminary judging. A panel of industry experts and screenwriting professionals will conduct the final round of judging. Semifinalists and Finalists will be announced. Three Winners will be selected to receive prizes.
4. Semifinalists will be posted on the Vail Film Festival website on January 19th, 2018. Winners will be notified by email on January 19th, 2018, and on the web at www.VailFilmFestival.com. An announcement will also be sent out in the Vail Film Festival newsletter. Winners will be included in a national press release. Prizes will be awarded by February 9th, 2018.
1st place winner in each category will be included in a national press release and have their scripts read by key decision-makers at leading entertainment companies. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in each category will receive VIP Passes to the 2018 Vail Film Festival.